2020-2021 Audition Requirements
Please download and complete the form(s) that apply to the Ensemble you would like to audition for and submit to the Music Director of the ensemble you are auditioning for. See below for more information. If you are auditioning for Penn Chamber and/or Penn Baroque, you must complete both the Instrumental Audition Form and the Small Ensemble Audition Form.
No audition is required. Students interested in the Brazilian Samba Ensemble should contact Music Director, Michael Stevens by email: email@example.com
Audition information is now available for the Marian Anderson Performance Program. Please visit that site for all of the details.
No audition is required. Students interested in the Arab Music Ensemble should attend the first session. For questions, contact Music Director, Hanna Khouri at firstname.lastname@example.org and Percussion Director, Hafez Kotain at email@example.com.
Students interested in chamber music at Penn - either Penn Baroque (up to 1750) or Penn Chamber (1750 - present) - should prepare two contrasting excepts to perform live on Zoom, September 2 and 3. Pianists and harpsichord players will be expected to play an excerpt from a pdf that will be mailed out the day before the audition.
To sign up for an audition time, please access the sign up form here.
For questions regarding Penn Baroque, contact Gwyn by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fore questions regarding Penn Chamber, contact David by email: ydavid at sas dot upenn dot edu
All students interested in auditioning to join Penn Chorale, Penn Collegium Musicum and/or Opera & Music Theater Workshop as new members are asked to submit a video audition. This video should include a vocal selection and spoken introductions. Returning students who have already sung in the ensemble do not need to submit an audition video; please email the director to indicate you will be returning.
Video for new students should include the following:
- Spoken Introductions: please tell is a little about yourself. Please include your name, where you are from, you major, college, and year at Penn. Please also tell us about your choral and musical experiences, including any choirs you have sung in, what voice part you usually sing, if you have taken private voice lessons, and if you play any instruments.
- Vocal Audition: please chose one song which best highlights your voice to record and submit. You can sing a cappella or with recorded accompaniment. Please tell us the name and composer of your song.
Please submit your video by August 28; videos too large for email can be sent as Google Drive links, or using any video sharing service. Auditions for Penn Chorale should be sent to Liz Braden at email@example.com. Auditions for Collegium Musicum and Opera & Music Theater Workshop should be sent to Meg Bragle at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to be considered for both choral groups, or are unsure which group you would like to participate in, please send your audition video to both directors.
Students interested in the Penn Flutes Ensemble should contact the music director, Michele Kelly at email@example.com to schedule an appointment. Auditions will take place live on Zoom.
Students interested in Penn "Flow" Chinese-Western Ensemble should contact Music Director, Bess Xintong Liu, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. More info on this ensemble please see [document attached].
Students interested in auditioning for the Penn Jazz Combos should email Dan Paul, director, at email@example.com as soon as possible.
Students interested in auditioning for the Penn Symphony Orchestra are to submit a pre-recorded video to Ensemble Director, Thomas Hong by August 31. After that point, auditions are on a rolling basis until September 14. However, rehearsals will begin on September 3, so everyone is encouraged to please submit their materials before then if possible. Please do not hesitate to email Mr. Hong directly with any questions.
- Please prepare selections (which can be from the same piece, 10-12 mins in total duration) that contain at least two contrasting styles - i.e. one lyrical and one technical, one slow and one fast, etc.
- Memorization is not required.
- Students should also complete the Instrumental Audition Request Form below and email it to the Director.
Please contact Thomas Hong with any questions by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Students interested in auditioning for the Penn Wind Ensemble will need to do so by pre-recorded video. Students should complete the Instrumental Audition Request Form below and email it to Ensemble Director, Dr. Michael Ketner. Returning Penn Wind Ensemble members are not required to re-audition.
- You may choose whatever repertoire you like, but it should include examples of two contrasting styles. The audition material can be excerpts from multiple pieces or from one piece—whatever you feel represents you at your best.
- The recording should be no more than about 5 minutes in duration.
- Please send the video (or links to it) to Dr. Michael Ketner at email@example.com by Friday, September 4.
Please contact Dr. Ketner with any questions by email: firstname.lastname@example.org